|“||I may be idealistic, I immediately act without thinking and I'm probably a crybaby older sister, but...I vow that I will love you more than anyone in the entire world. So...please, marry me.||”|
Yuzu Aihara (藍原 柚子 Aihara Yuzu?), née Okogi (小此木?), is the main protagonist in the manga Citrus. She is the stepdaughter of Shō Aihara, the biological daughter of Ume Aihara and the older stepsister/wife of Mei Aihara.
Yuzu is a very pretty girl with dyed chestnut blonde hair that has bangs swept to the left side, emerald green eyes and she has two piercings in each ear.
She is very fashionable and keeps up with the latest trends. Her natural hair color is brown, and during the 17th and 18th chapters of the manga, she temporarily wore a jet black wig.
Yuzu is a daring, outspoken, often shameless and self-proclaimed gyaru who enjoys dressing up, wearing make up, and customizing her school uniform, which clashes with her school's rules, often leading to problems with the Student Council. She emphasizes what relationships have to be like in order to cover up her own inexperience with them. She attempts to be as girly as possible and detests the academy's no make-up policy. From the beginning of the manga she is portrayed as a "dumb blonde," yet slowly, as the manga progresses, her more domestic and caring attributes are manifested. She is a creative cook and will often cook for herself and Mei when their mother is busy working.
Despite her attitude, with hard work, she is shown to be able to get good grades on tests. Despite Yuzu acting like a child at times, she does her best to make the people she cares about happy. She is considerate, yet clumsy and brash who is incredibly bubbly and her optimistic side often manifests itself in her conquests for Mei. She cares not for school rules or upper-class views as she's more interested in what society as a whole thinks of her.
After finding real love she became considerably happy about it wanting to show her affection more. However, she found out the hard way that not everyone will approve of her relationship with Mei, leading her into a state of depression and resulting in failing her exams. It wasn't until she got encouragement from Mei that she snapped out of it.
After her proposal to Mei, she has matured a bit being less reckless and be more confident with herself being in relationship with Mei.
Anime & Manga Differences
- The name Yuzu means "citron, citrus fruit/grapefruit, pomelo, shaddock" (柚子).
- Yuzu is the name of a citric fruit, which is possibly the reason why the name of the manga is Citrus.
- Yuzu's surname Aihara means "indigo" (藍) (ai) and "field, plain" (原) (hara).
- Her former surname Okogi means "small" (小) (o), "this, current, next, coming, last, past" (此) (ko) and "tree, wood" (木) (ki/gi), which can be interpreted to mean "this small tree".
- Before Ume (Yuzu's biological mother) got married to Shō, Yuzu's former surname was Okogi.
- In the initial setup, Yuzu's height was set to be 156cm and her blood type was setup to be A.
- According to Suzuran, Yuzu is right-handed.
- Yuzu was the one who made The Great Operation to be Happy Love Love with Mei!! notebook.
- Yuzu reads Momoiro Shimai.